Friday, May 14, 2010

payback

Option A:

You can give and expect something in return, all you will gain are worldly things that can only bring you temporary happiness.

Option B:

You can give sincerely, you are not only a really awesome person because you did a very honourable thing but God will repay you for your generosity that goes beyond worldly matters and the rewards are unlimited.

So which one would you choose?

The answer’s pretty clear I think...

But it’s so hard to do.

As I’m pressing on this matter,
I just want to mention that,
My position is no different than yours,
I’m not so righteous that I can simply give it all away.

I am only human,
In fact we all are,
So this is not to bash anyone who might feel offended,
It’s just a reminder that we all can be a better person day by day if we try.

Honestly,
I don’t get option A at all,
Because...

When you were giving to the person firsthand,
The ultimate reason must be because that person must’ve been in need,
And when you’re in need,
You can’t really afford to do anything unless you get a little help.

And for you who is giving that help,
To expect something in return,
From a person who – you were well informed – could not repay you back from the start,
Are you stupid or something?
Or do you really take everything thing into count?

If what you gave was such a large amount,
That person might need a very long time,
First to use the help received for the intended purpose,
Second to pay you back.

Do you realize how big of a headache you caused that person?

Not only does that person have to worry about their own life problems,
But now he/she has to lose sleep about repaying you for your generous help.

If your intension was actually to offer generous help,
Then you wouldn’t put so much pressure on that person to pay you back.

It’s not that easy for me either,
I don’t mind treating my friends once in a while,
If it goes beyond my budget,
I’ll know where I stand,
And maybe I’ll limit my spending.

And when I’m a little short,
I ask my friends who I treated for a few bucks,
The usual excuse would be,
“Hey, can you lend me some money? It’s the least thing you could do after I treated you the last time.”

We all can’t escape from wanting to collect what we’ve lost,
Especially when we’re running so low.

So since I’ve made it clear,
That I’m no better than you,
I also suffer from the need to collect debt when I get desperate.

This does not concern you,
Who is filthy rich and the help you offered that person is not even equaled to a quarter of your possessions!

So stop making that person feel like shit,
Feel like that person is forever in debt to you because it is impossible to pay back,
Don’t give that person a hard time,
And please, this is the most annoying of them all,
Stop reminding that person about your kind heart and generosity to help out,
This will further put pressure on that person indirectly.

This thing called “debt” is so inescapable in life,
Not just in terms of money,
Help can mean a lot of other things.

And it doesn’t matter,
If you’re a good friend, girlfriend, grandfather, aunt or sibling.

When help is offered to someone,
It doesn’t matter how close they are,
The topic will come out,
The relationship will be strained.

It is so hard to give and expect nothing in return.

You’ll at least expect them to treat you to a nice meal.

So let’s just give,
And give and give and give and give,
Once you handed it over to that person,
Just let it fly with the wind,
Leave it all behind.

Everything or anything that you will gain in this world will just be it,
It'll just be in this world,
But if you try to remember that there is a greater force watching over you,
That can make humanly rewards look so puny compared to what He can give you.

You will be blessed in this world,
And in the hereafter,
Now isn’t that much better than torturing that person to pay you back?

Nothing lasts forever,
Especially materialistic things which can be easily exchanged by human hands,
God’s Grace, however, is irreplaceable.